How long are Yorkies pregnant? This is a question that has several answers, reason being is that labor can be induced by several factors and here are the most prevalent ones you need to watch out for.
If you suspect that your female Yorkie has mated, there are a number of important facts you need to be aware of in a canine pregnancy to ensure a smooth delivery.
How Long are Yorkshire Terriers Pregnant For?
It is possible for a Yorkie to become pregnant the very first time she mates.
The average gestation period (i.e. pregnancy period) for Yorkies, generally lasts between 58 to 68 days with around 63 days being the average. If by day 67, your Yorkie has still not delivered, it’s a good idea to call your veterinarian.
The reason for such a variance in days can be boiled down to the size of the dog. Toy breeds generally carry their pups somewhat longer than larger breeds. Both the size of the mother and litter size play a key role in how long your Yorkie is pregnant for.
Your breeder may also be of help since pregnancy lengths run in the family. Try and find out how long her mother’s pregnancy lasted for.
Finally a canine pregnancy calendar can also be useful to pinpoint your Yorkie’s approximate arrival due date. This works if you have the actual date your Yorkie was bred. Failing that, try to recall when she was last in heat, and simply count the middle of that heat cycle as the most probable time of breeding.
Your pregnant Yorkie will have to be switched over to a higher calorie diet in order to sustain herself and her growing pups.
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with the most scientifically advanced food safety protocols; We'd appreciate your CALL 800.342.4808
Last update on 2019-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Yorkie Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
If you’re unsure whether your Yorkie is pregnant, a veterinarian would be to tell you for sure through an ultrasound, although this may not be possible until later on in the pregnancy.
In the meantime, here are the most visible early signs of pregnancy in your Yorkie:
- Enlarged nipples
- Excessive grooming
- Firmer stomach and enlarge stomach
- Increase in appetite
- Weight Gain (expect between 1.2 – 2.1 pounds).
How Many Puppies Can a Yorkie Have at Once?
The average litter size for Yorkshire Terriers ranges from 1-5.
How Do You Know if Your Yorkie is in Labor?
Yorkie labor symptoms begins within 24 hours when her internal body temperature drops below normal. It is advisable that you commence taking her body temperature twice weekly one week before the arrival due date.
You’ll need a canine rectal thermometer and petroleum jelly for lubrication. Insert it half an inch and read the temperate gauge after approx. 3 mins.
- Normal Body Temperature: 101-102.5℉ (38.3 – 39.17℃)
- If temperature drops under 100℉ (37.77 ℃) delivery (whelping) of puppies is expected within 24 hours.
She’ll experience contractions leading up to the birth of her litter. At this stage it’s normal that she may begin to vomit or cry; so be ready to comfort her.
Taking The Next Step
How long are Yorkies pregnant? Just about enough time to have a litter of happy and healthy pups to develop. Be prepared and arrange a comfortable and clean place for her to deliver about two weeks beforehand. Stay ahead and learn about nutrition for the mum and after-care for the new addition of furry members in your family.
If you have any doubts or concerns – don’t take the “wait and see what happens” approach – contact your emergency vet immediately.
Resources & Further Reading:
Tell us about your Yorkie’s pregnancy, during or after-care tips you’d like to share in the comments below!